SICK BUILDING SYMPTOMS
Catch building issues early by spotting damage before it spreads
Sick building symptoms play a vital role in letting you know problems exist and whether or not the damage requires treatment. Our team of building doctors focus on curing structural issues, and prolonging the long-term health of buildings.
Common symptoms include staining and growth, peeling paint and swelling, leaks and condensation, and cracks. Recognizing these symptoms and acting quickly ensures the problem doesn’t get out of hand, presenting challenges to your building’s occupants.
STAINING & GROWTH
Stained walls, siding, decks and growths in Apartment, Condominium, or Commercial Buildings can be a sign of a massive problem. J2 Building Consultants will diagnose & repair these issues before they become devastating.
Areas to Check
- Below windows, roofs, decks, etc.
- Bases of walls
- Bricks (efflorescence)
- Concrete (walls, ceiling, subgrade)
- Causes of Staining and Growth in Buildings
- Excess moisture behind cladding
(leaks will lead you to the source)
Causes for Staining & Growth
- Excess moisture behind cladding will leak out around sources
- The base of a wall touching landscaping, concrete, or ground will wick up moisture
- Excess moisture traveling through brick will leave behind white salts
- Excess moisture traveling through concrete will cause staining and spalling
- Excess moisture will cause blistering
WARNING: Excess Moisture!
The base of a wall touching landscaping, concrete, or ground will wick up moisture. Excess moisture traveling through brick will leave behind white salts. Excess moisture traveling through concrete will cause staining and spalling. excess moisture will cause blistering.
Examples of Staining & Growth
Peeling paint in your Apartment Building? Wood swelling in your Condominium Building or Commercial Building? Don’t take these lightly. A small issue is often a sign of a major problem.
- Siding issues or damage
- Exterior or interior trim damage
- Issues around windows, doors, deck
- Interior water stains and swelling
Causes of Swelling & Peeling Paint
- Swelling siding, trim, window sills, or other wood and fiber cement elements is a sign that the wood is absorbing water somewhere
- Swelling near windows is an indication that the window is leaking
- Peeling paint is a sign that fiber cement or wood beneath the paint is saturated with water and causing the paint to separate from the surface
Examples of Swelling & Peeling Paint
Small water leaks, stains and condensation can be signs of major water damage in your apartment, condominium, or commercial buildings.
- Water drips on siding
- Standing water
- Condensation between window panes
Causes of Major Water Damage
- Icicles and drips or streams of water are an indication that excess water is flowing where it shouldn’t be
- Standing water on a patio, deck, balcony, or courtyard is an indication of improper drainage
- Condensation is a sign that the window seal has failed
Examples of Leaks & Condensation
Cracks in your Apartment, Condominium, or Commercial Building can be a sign of a bigger problem. The repair can quickly escalate from minor to devastating left unchecked.
Places to Check
- Cracked drywall could be an indication of framing damage
- Cracked stucco is a sign of potential water intrusion behind the stucco system
- Cracked sealant allows water intrusion
Examples of Cracks
LEARN MORE WITH J2!
16 REASONS TO MAKE REPAIRS ALL AT ONCE
“We have so much damage, wouldn’t it just be cheaper to make repairs one building at a time?”
The answer is NO. Download this guide to learn how you can benefit from completing your project all at once instead of little by little.
LEARN HOW TO INSPECT
Our DIY YouTube Series teaches you how to perform your own building inspection and when to get a building doctor involved. Topics covered in this series include: decks, hillside, staining, flashing, sealant, leaks, water damage, wall siding, roof ventilation, flat roofs, shingles, EIF panels, and weatherproofing.